Vinaya Seminar 2010
Held at Santi Forest Monastery on 8-12 February 2010
The seminar is intended to:
- promote understanding of Vinaya among monastics living in Australia.
- learn how to practice Vinaya in Australian context.
- improve understanding and appreciation of different Vinaya traditions.
Topics for presentation and discussion include:
- Vinaya from the perspectives of Pali, East Asian, and Tibetan traditions.
- Bodhisattva vows from Mahayana and Tibetan traditions.
- Living as a monastic in a non-Buddhist culture.
Start: Monday 8 February after lunch.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 9-11 Feb
8.00-9.30: Teaching – Each day will start with a presentation from the perspective of one of the major traditions. Each teacher will be invited to speak on a particular aspect of monastic discipline that is strong within their own tradition.
9.30-10.00: Tea Break
10.00-11.00: Q&A relating to the morning’s teaching.
11.00-2.00: Lunch Break
2.00-4.00: Small group discussions
4.00-4.30: Tea break
4.30-6.00: Whole group discussions.
6.00-7.00: Tea break
7.00: Free time for meditation or continued discussion/research